Article 4(2) Guidance
Extract from the Fieldend Conservation Area Plan
Article 4 (2) Guidance
The following guidance has been designed for Fieldend to inform development that has been brought under the control of Article 4 (2) Directions. This guidance does not pre-judge any planning application.
– Original front doors have a simple letter box and escutcheon plate. This should be retained or reinstated on a like for like basis and door furniture should be in aluminium or brushed/satin stainless steel, and not in shiny polished materials, including brass.
– The painted timber windows should be retained or replaced on a like for like basis. Any other alteration that is not like for like will require permission. uPVC is not considered an appropriate material.
– The façade of houses are treated with shiplap boarding and brick. These materials should be repaired and retained on a like for like basis. The fascia panel should also remain uninterrupted and should remain of timber construction. uPVC is not considered an appropriate material.
[Note from FRAL: The fascia panel is in fact Chrysotile Asbestos. It is not possible to replace this like-for-like. FRAL is in talks with the conservation officer about a suitable replacement material.]
The enlargement of a property, hardsurfacing, or provision of an enclosure that is visible from public view could unbalance the regularity of the development. As such, permission will be required for these developments.
– The appearance of the flat roof should not be altered from public view and like for like aluminium roof trimming should be used along the top of the fascia. Any flue, soil or vent pipe should not come through brickwork or boarding on the fascia, or any other area visible from public view.
– The porches are a very specific design, and repairs and replacement should be to the original design. Porches are steel framed with a timber transom, and should have semi-transparent glass without pattern, decoration or wire grid.
– Hedges, white painted timber gates and brick walls are the original treatment and should be retained or reinstated to match original.
– Windows, fascia and shiplap boarding were originally painted, and any repainting in a matching colour will not require permission. External painting in areas that are not currently painted or paintwork in colours other than existing will require permission.
– Satellite dishes should not be installed on the fascia or the roof, and should only be located out of public view.
[Note from FRAL: Please see FRAL's page on satellite dishes]
Click here for the full Article 4(2) Direction for Fieldend.